Wednesday, January 25, 2012

NVCC (College Post 2)

    The Northern Virginia Community College is ideal for students who have physical disabilities.  The college stands on a beautiful campus surrounded by trees and with a large lake on one end.  The campus is very small and compact with buildings being very close to one another.  Faculty and staff are very helpful around campus so if you need help with something, do not hesitate to ask.  There are elevators in most buildings so if you cannot climb steps, look close-by and there is more-than-likely one around the corner.

    One downside to NVCC, however, is that sometimes it can get quite lonely.  Since it is a commuter college, most students only come to attend class and then leave to go home.  Therefore, the school can sometimes become boring if you must be there all day.  I could not get a ride home until late in the afternoon when I went there and things got a bit dull.  I usually brought my iPOD to keep me occupied as well as textbooks and homework.  There is, however, a great lounge and cafeteria area to go to whenever you have any extra downtime to kill.

    One great thing about NVCC, is that it is in the range of MetroAccess.  This is great for disabled students that cannot drive and need a ride to school.  I was one of these students and found MetroAccess to be very helpful.  I am unable to drive a car so I relied on MetroAccess to pick me up and drop me off very promptly.  I rarely had a problem with them not showing up or being late.

    NVCC also has a very good disabilities office.  The administrators that work there are also counselors as well who can help you choose classes or with anything else that you may need.  This allows students to then get more familiar with the counselors that they work with.  I found these counselors to be very helpful and knowledgeable.  I felt also that teachers were very accommodating to my needs and made NVCC a very enjoyable and worth-while experience.

    I enjoyed my experience at NVCC and would recommend it to those looking to attend a small, quaint school.  I was able to get any and all the help that I needed from the faculty and staff at NVCC.  I was able to successfully pursue my degree requirements in an environment that I came to know, love, and enjoy.  The professors at NVCC helped me achieve a high level of success and treated me as any other student.  I would recommend NVCC to any student looking for the college experience but not quite ready to live away from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment